Saxony, or Sachen in German, is a state in eastern Germany. The capital city is Dresden, which is on the Elbe river. Dresden is known as the “German Florance” and is famous for porcelain and Dresden Stollen.
Saxony borders Poland and the Czech Republic. It was part of communist East Germany until reunification.
Towns and areas
- Dresden Elbland
- Ore Mountains – considered the most stunning low mountain range in Germany
- Saxon Switzerland / Sächsische Schweiz
- Upper Lusatia
- Bärwalder See
- Berzdorfer See
- Cospudener See Leipzig
- Hainer See
- Halbendorfer See
- Haselbacher See
- Kulkwitzer See Leipzig
- Markkleeberger See
- Schladitzer Bucht
- Speicherbecken Lohsa
- Steinbruch Eckartsberg
- Werbeliner See
- Zwenkauer See
Activities for rainy days
More info coming soon
Activities with kids
Foods and Drinks
- Blinsen (a kind of pancake)
- Quarkkäulchen (Flapjacks with Quark)
- Klitscher (a variety of potato pancake)
- Kalter Hund
- Leipziger Allerlei – Avegetable dish with peas, carrots, beans, etc
- Leberwurst with Sauerkraut
- Sächsische Flecke / Saure Flecke – Tripe stew
- Wickelkloß – Rolled up Dumplings
- Dresdner Stollen
- Dresdner Wiegebraten (Mince, Veal and pork)
- Pulsnitzer Pfefferkuchen (handcrafted gingerbread)
- Sächsischer Sauerbraten
- Radeberger Biergulasch
- Black Mountain Festival
- Moritzburg Festical
- Mendelson-Festtage Leipzig
More information can be found here
- Schloss Moritzburg just outside Dresden.
- Meißen has the Augustusburg and is famous for its beautiful porcelain. It is also possible to visit the Meissner Manufaktur.
- In the north of Sachsen you can visit the Naturpark Dübener Heide.
- In Ostsachsen, mainly in the villages Obercunnersdorf, Wehrsdorf, Großschönau, Waltersdorf, Eibau, Dittelsdorf und Cunewalde you find houses called Umgebindehäuser. Some of them, you can view inside.
- The Erzgebirge is a beautiful area to visit. Especially the beautiful wooden carvings sold there. Very popular with loads of shops and workshops is Seiffen. If you are into hiking, the Erzgebirge has loads of beautiful hiking trails.
- Festung Königstein.
- Bad Schandau and Kirnitzschtal
- Dresden Christmas Market is very special
Please send your tips to us via this form
Online resources and apps
South African Businesses in the Area
African Pride Designs
Our New Collection is now available and are added to the photos section Inspired by the love for the continent, the beautiful people and the
Tourist accommodation types
The hotel descriptions in Germany are very different from those in South Africa. Here is a shortlist, of some of the most popular types, with
Travel ideas within Germany
Germany is a beautiful country with diverse landscapes and many regional specialties. To add your suggestions please submit it via this form Here are some
Weather in Germany
German Climate Germany’s climate is temperate and marine, with cold, cloudy winters and warm summers and in the south occasional warm föhn wind. The greater
You must be logged in to post a comment.