Skip to content

South Africans in Germany

Home » Visas and Immigration » Types of Visas » List of Short stay Visas » Friends or Family visits

Friends or Family visits

Do you want to invite friends or family to come and visit you in Germany?
For their trip, they will need a tourist visa, which is one of the short stay (less than 90 days) Schengen visas.  There are two types of tourist visas. One is for general tourist, and the other for family and friends who wants to visit someone in Germany.

More information, application forms and the requirements can be found on the German Embassy website.
The requirements are very clearly stated.
What is not always clear is how to supply the required documentation in special cases for example an older person that wants to come to visit and is not working and find it difficult to get Medical/Travel insurance.

How soon can you apply

Duly completed application forms may be submitted six months prior to your intended travel date. Do not wait too long to apply,  our suggestion is at the latest two weeks before the planned travel.

Proof of Willingness to return to South Africa

This section is extremely important. You can also elaborate on the invitation letter.
The following is listed as proof of Employment by the embassy

  • If employed: current letter of employment with an original signature) 
  • If self-employed: company registration document 
  • If student: current proof of school/university registration confirming that the student is exempt from attending lectures during the requesting travel period, with an original signature
  • If medical doctor: valid license to practice from HPSCA and copy of the HPCSA-card
  • if other employment situation: current proof of occupation


If unemployed or retired:
Copy of ID of Spouse and Marriage Certificate or Birth Certificate of minor children

If unemployed or retired and single without minor children:

  • proof of financial assets
  • proof of Property Ownership and/or  proof of residency and/or Pension certificate

Note: Proof of Residence can be a utility bill/rental agreement/signed letter from the property owner with an copy of their ID

Proof of financial status and sufficient funds

The requirement is 45 euros per person per day (2022)
This can be proved by the visitor submitting their own bank statements for the last three months or the host can sign a formal letter of obligation for the person they are inviting (Verpflichtungserklärung)

Verpflichtungserklärung – Sponsoring someone’s visit

One of the requirements for both short term and long term (National) Schengen Visas is Proof of financial status and sufficient funds. When you want to sponsor someone’s visit, for example, your parents or other family members, and they cannot prove their own financial means, you need to complete a legalised letter of obligation or “Verpflichtungserklärung”.

Documents proving purpose of travel

The following must be included by the applicant as  proof of Purpose of Travel

  • Invitation letter from the inviting party, with dates, names, address and signature
  • Copy of passport of the inviting party
  • Copy of the residence permit of the inviting party, if you do not have a residence permit yet, add a copy of your Meldebestätigung 
  • Letter confirming that the applicant was granted leave from their company (if employed)
  •  If the Invitation does not include accommodation: Proof of accommodation including the complete address for your entire stay in the Schengen area
  • Flight reservation (round trip), rail tickets and others if applicable

The invitation letter should include the following:

  • The travel dates
  • The name, address, and ID number (Aufenhaltstitel) and if applicable your South African passport information of the inviting party
  • Names of your guests, and their passport numbers
  • Inviting party’s signature

The following is a suggestion to add to the invitation letter:

  • A short paragraph explaining the relationship (old friend, grandparents etc), a short itinerary and some proof that your guest will return to South Africa again and on time 
  • If they have a rental agreement, this can also be attached to support their intention of returning.

If the invitation does not include accommodation at your home:
Proof of accommodation including the complete address for their entire stay in the Schengen area must be added.

Here is an Example Invitation letter as a suggestion. 

Overseas medical travel insurance for Schengen States

Insurance by TIC, a South African company,  is accepted by the Embassy and is well known in the travel industry.

Try the following companies for insurance for older people:

  • TIC – leisure Senior
  • Klemmer – They also do student cover
  • Allianz – Für Besucher aus dem Ausland und bis zu 93 Tagen Reisedauer – ohne Höchstalter
  • Axa  – Schengen Travel Insurance
  • Dr WalterProvisit
  • ADAC Die Reisekranken- und Haftpflichtversicherung für Ihre Gäste aus dem Ausland

More info on the web

Related content

Visa application tips

We are not immigration agents, and your first point of contact should always be the German embassy or consulate in South Africa.Most of the information

List of Short stay Visas

According to the German Embassy in South Africa, “South African passport holders require a visa to enter Germany.  It is important to note that if you

Travel ideas within Germany

Germany is a beautiful country with diverse landscapes and many regional specialties. To add your suggestions please submit it via this form Here are some