A movie theatre is called das Kino, and they show the latest movies and blockbusters. Although most movie theatres are very modern with the latest technology, there are still many classic Cinemas left where you can experience the charm of a world gone by. Many of these older Cinemas show art-house films or classic movies.
Another great option if you want to experience something different, is to visit an open-air Kino in the summer.
The following website can be used to search for movies showing in your town. Some allow you to search by language as well
English or original language films
Almost all movies are dubbed into German, but the cinemas also show movies in the original languages during specific times. To watch a movie in English or the original language look for the following codes in the program
- OV – Original Version. No dubbing or subtitles
- OmU – Original mit Untertiteln or original with German subtitles unless otherwise specified
- OmdU – Original with German Subtitles.
- OmeU – Original with English Subtitles
- DF – Deutsche Fassung or German Version. Dubbed into German
Good to know
- You can book tickets online or buy them on-site.
- You can book a specific seat when you buy your ticket online. Book long before the time to better your chances of booking your favorite seat. If there is no seat reservation it will be marked as “freie Plazwahl”
- You can buy popcorn and drinks at most cinemas. Popcorn tends to be sweet and not savory although some do offer a savory option
- You can drink beer, wine, and other alcoholic drinks inside the cinema
- Older cinemas still have breaks in between, and moviegoers can buy refreshments during the breaks.
Ratings / Parental Guidance
- FSK 0 (white sign) ― No age restriction.
- FSK 6 (yellow sign) ― Approved for ages 6 and up. No admission to children under 6.
- FSK 12 (green sign) ― Approved for ages 12 and up. Children ages 6-11 years are admitted only with parental accompaniment.
- FSK 16 (blue sign) ― Approved for ages 16 and older. No one under this age will be admitted.
- FSK 18 (red sign) ― No youth admitted. Adults only.
Film Festivals, Open-air, and art house cinemas
- List of German Film Festivals
- Festival Calendar
- List of Open Air Kinos by Ortdienste
- Fünf Seen Filmfestival
- Best arthouse cinemas in Berlin
- International Trickfilm festival in Stuttgart
Internet TV and mobile
Internet, mobile and television packages are usually sold as a bundle. Fibre is available in most big cities but not in remote towns. Legal After registering
Radio Stations and Playlists
Most South African radio stations have a streaming option, another option is to download apps with a selection of radio stations. Here are some suggestions
Streaming South African content
Your best option to legally watch South African products is to get a subscription to Showmax or Netflix. Showmax Kyknet and other SA programs Netflix
You must be logged in to post a comment.