A visa allows you to enter Germany. If you want to stay longer than 3 months you will need to apply for a residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis) at the local immigration authority (Ausländerbehorde )
You can only apply for a residence permit after you registered at the local Town office (Bürgerampt). See more about registering here.
Where must you apply
You apply at the immigration office (Ausländerbehorde)
Depending on where you live, this can be in your city (Stadkreis) or at the district office (Landratsamt).
You can also search online for Ausländerbehörde and your town e.g. Ausländerbehörde Leinfelden.
In smaller towns the Bürgeramp and the Ausländerbehorde are in the same building but this may not be the case in bigger cities.
- Valid passport
- Proof of income, e.g. employee contract
- Proof of medical insurance
- Registration certificate (Anmeldebescheinigung) that you get from the Bürgeramt after registering with them. This will be your new proof of residence, but take your rental agreement with you just in case.
- Completed application form
- Biometric photos
- the rest will depend on the purpose of stay e.g for work, study etc.
|Proof of residence||die Wohnungsgeberbestätigung|
|Obligation to register||die Meldepflicht|
|Residence permit||die Aufenthaltserlaubnis|
|Registration certificate||die Anmeldebescheinigung|