Discover Saxony-Anhalt - Draft
Saxony-Anhalt is a federal state in the lower north of Germany, just west of Berlin. The major cities are Magdeburg, Halle and Wittenburg.
The town of Wittenburg is the birthplace of Martin Luther.
Why Saxony-Anhalt Is The Perfect destination?
- Hagenbeck Tierpark and the Wildpark Schwarze Berge
- Boat Trips on the ferry, or a Riverbus
- Klick Kindermuseum
- The museum of illusions
- Loki Schmidt Botanical Gardens or the Planten un Blomen park. Here is a list of all parks in Hamburg
- Swimming pools e.g Festland, Holthusenbad or the outdoor Naturbad Stadparksee
- There are many playgrounds like the Grasbrookpark in HafenCity
- Rodeln (Sledding) when it snows
- Strandperle restaurant on the Elbe
- Dock3 Beachclub
- Brücke 10 im Strand Haus – restaurant on the Elbe
- The Portugiesenviertel – Portuguese ans Spanish restaurants
If you want to explore the regions around Hamburg, head to the Altes Land region just south of Hamburg.
There is only one authentic castle in Hamburg, the Bergedorf Castle, for more castles, consider a trip to Ahrensburg, Gottorf, Plön castle or the fairytale Schwerin Castle.
Lübeck, Lüneburg, Travemünde, Cuxhaven, Schwerin, Stade and Wismar are all in easy reach for a daytrip, Berlin is two hours away with the train.
Most of the islands are easy to reach and is perfect for a day trip, or longer .. Great choices are Heligoland which you can reach by ferry, Fehmarn Island, Sylt, and St. Peter-Ording which is good for kite surfing. For more beaches take a trip to the North Sea, the Baltic Sea, the Wadden Sea, or the Mecklenburg coastline
amazing things to know about Hamburg
- Every ship arriving at the Wilkomm Höft receives a special greeting.
- It is the city with the most bridges in the world.
- The Tierpark Hagenbeck opened in 1907 and remains the only large privately owned zoo in Europe.
- Miniatur Wunderland is the world’s biggest miniature railway.
- The Hamburg State Opera is the oldest Opera in Germany.
- The Speicherstadt and Kontorhausviertel are UNESCO World Heritage Sites
- The Hamburger Dom is a festival held three times a year.
Some of the well-known festivals are: