Visit any fair or festival in Germany and you are bound to find a stand (Imbiss) selling currywurst. It is the official street food in Berlin, together with Döner Kebap. More than 70 million currywurst are eaten per year in Berlin alone. Some of the best places to eat Currywurst in Berlin is Curry 36 in Kreuzberg, Konnopke’s Imbiss in Prenzlauer Berg and Bier’s Kudamm 195 in Wilmersdorf.
Currywurst was apparently first made by Herta Heuwer in Berlin in 1949. She got the tomato sauce (Ketchup) and curry powder from British soldiers stationed in Germany. She originally served it with pork sausages and it soon became popular with constructions workers as an easy and fast meal. It is reported that she sold more than 10 000 Currywurst per week.
Bratwurst is the classic choice of meat, but you can use any type of sausage you like, even vegan sausages. In Berlin, you can ask for a Nacktwurst, which is a sausage without a casing.
It is usually served on a small paper plate with either French fries or with a bread roll.
You eat it with a small wooden spoon and dip your bread roll or chips in the leftover sauce.
There are many recipes available. The best is to try different ones and adjust them to your taste. You can also buy ready-made sauces.
Recipe for the sauce
• 2 small onions peeled and finely chopped
• 30 ml oil
• +- 10 ml curry powder
• 30 ml tomato paste
• 1 can chopped tomatoes (425 ml)
• 100 ml apple juice
• 15 ml apple cider vinegar
• 15 ml sugar
• Salt pepper
• Tabasco or cayenne pepper
- Heat the oil in a pan or saucepan and sauté the onions until translucent.
- Sprinkle curry on top and sauté for about a minute.
- Fry the tomato paste for a few seconds, then deglaze with the tomatoes, apple juice and vinegar.
- Add 15 ml of sugar and simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes.
- If you prefer a finer sauce, you can puree it.
- Season the with salt, freshly ground pepper and sugar.
- Season with Tabasco or cayenne pepper to taste
- Pour the warm sauce over the sausage and sprinkle with curry powder.
You must log in to post a comment.