When you do not have a garden or balcony to have a braai, you can go to a public Grillplatz.
These are usually in bigger parks, around lakes. Grilling in the woods are generally prohibited with some exceptions. Personally I would refrain from grilling in the woods even if there is a Grillplatz. The woods can be very dry in summer and there is always a fire hazard.
My first public grill was at the Grillplatz in Lonetal near Ulm.
It is part of a hiking trail. We walked back after dark and it there was a beautiful full moon. The woods were full of glowworms, it was really magical
As with most things in Germany, grilling in a public space is regulated. I think these rules are based on common decency and respect.
Rule of thumb – if it doesn’t explicitly say grilling is allowed, you can assume it is not allowed
Why can I not grill where I want?
Disposable brills damages the grass, and when the grass is very dry the heat will damage the lawn. This can also lead to runaway fires.
Finding a designated grilling spot
You can search the interne for “Grillplätze in öffentlichen Grünanlagen” or just “Grillplätze in YourTown”
There are some websites that have a list per town:
Here are some websites for popular town. Most also have the rules specific to the town listed.
You can also just look for the signposting in public places to see if grilling is allowed. If there are no clear indications or signs indicating a grilling permit, then it is forbidden.
Make sure you are grilling only in the designated places. Do not dig your own grill pit or damage the lawn.
Each stat or town has its own rules, so please make sure you know what the rules are for the area you want to grill.
Violations of these rules of the “Police Ordinance on Public Security and Order” are considered an administrative offence and may result in a warning or fine (see how much here).
- Only grill in designated areas.
- The fire must be supervised by a suitable person at all times
- The fire must be extinguish completely after you finished grilling.
- Dispose of all waste, this includes the ashes. Most spots will have a bin designed for hot ashes.
- Grilling under trees or in the immediate vicinity of woody plants and on horticultural surfaces is not permitted (in the interest of protecting trees and birds). The grass must not be damaged.
- Only commercially available charcoal and lighters may be used
- Flames may not exceed a height of one meter
- You might need to register at the town hall to make use of a grill area.
- Please leave the area clean and take all food scraps with you
- Do not make any fire on the lawn or in gardens
- The number for the Fire brigade is 112
Playing music in parks and green spaces in the city of is generally permitted.
It should not harass anyone.
Most parks have a quiet period from 10:00 pm to 6:00 am
- Wild-Grillen – meint hier das unerlaubte Grillen auf Flächen für die laut Parkverordnung oder Naturschutzgesetz ein Grillverbot gilt.
– means unauthorized grilling on areas that are prohibited from grilling according to the Park Ordinance or Nature Conservation Act.
- Grillen verboten – Grilling not allowed
- Grillplatz – Grill area