250g dates, pitted
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup Butter
3/4 brown sugar (light)
2 XL eggies
1tsp Vanilla Essence
1 1/2 cup Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
Pinch of salt, just a bietjie.
1/2 cups pecans
For the Sauce
1cup light brown sugar
1cup Boiling water
1/2 Cup Brandy + n bietjie vir liefde
1 tsp vanilla, yes twice!
- Preheat Oven to 180 degrees.
- Add the pitted dates, Bicarb and a cup of boiling water together. Let it stand for about 10mins.
- Cream the butter and the sugar and eggies until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the Vanilla Essence
- Add the dries to the wets (including the pitted dates mix) and fold it all together and pour into a lightly buttered oven dish.
- Bake for about 60 mins, depending on your oven of course! Let’s say 50-60 mins.
- Please keep an eye on it, it bakes very dark but obvs have to be spongy
- Add all the sauce ingredients to a pot and cook until the sugar is dissolved.
- Poke holes into the baked pudding and pour the sauce over
Black Forest Trifle
- Chocolate Cake
- 100 g Sugar
- 100 ml Cherry juice
- Juice of on Lemon
- 500 g Berries (frozen)
- 500 g Cream
- 2 packets of Vanilla sugar
- Chocolate shavings for decoration
- Boil the Frozen berries, sugar, cherry and lemon juice together until it becomes thicker. Let it cool
- Beat the cream and vanilla sugar until the cream is still
- Cut the chocolate cake in think slices or break it into pieces
- Layer the cake, berry mix and cream in a glass bowl. Top with chocolate shavings or fresh berries
You can sprinkle the cake with sherry or Cherry liquor.
You add a layer of Chocolate mousse or Chocolate custard.
You can add a dash of Amarula or Bailys to the cream.