|Time||Central European Time (CET), Summertime – the same time as South Africa until the last Sunday of October, when Wintertime starts (30 October 2022).|
The average day temperature is 22 degrees Celsius. The days become longer and there are more hours of sunshine.
July is in the summer holidays and many people will take their long holidays in either July or August.
Favourite summer holiday destinations for most Germans are Spain, in particular Mallorca, Greece, and Italy. Another popular destination is Malta, where they speak English.
Traveling within Germany is also a great option, with destinations like the Ostsee, the Nordsee, Sylt , and Lake Constance making the top of the list.
For travel information in Schengen countries, see our Travel in the Schengen Area page
It is time to enjoy a beer after work in one of the many beer gardens or invite friends over for a braai. You might also be invited to German Grillfest, be ready to see a lot of Sausages, vegetables, and even cheese on the grill.
To find out what rules are applicable when you have braai read more here, there are also links on where to buy boeries and biltong.
It is also time to get your cozzies out as some public swimming facilities (Freibad) will be open. Other options are to swim at a beach, a baggersee or a lake.
You can find a list of all the lakes (der See/Seen) in Germany here
Other outdoor activities that are very popular during summer are hiking and biking. There are many websites and apps available with easy-to-follow routes.
On our Community sections, you can find or create groups with similar interests like hiking.
Most fruit trees will be heavy with fruit by now. In Germany, there are rules about when you are allowed to pick fruit from trees. The general rule is that if the trees belong to a fruit farmer you are not allowed to pick the fruit, if the trees do not belong to a fruit farmer, then you can pick fruit for your own use.
For each Bundesland, there might be different rules. Here is a short article about it (in German).
Websites with more information on where you can go pick fruit, also from farmers, are Mundraub and https://www.streuobstwiesen-boerse.de/
- 1 – 10 July: Internationales Donaufest Ulm
- 1–17 July: Kiliani Volksfest, Würzburg (county fair–type folk festival)
- 13 – 31 July: ZMF Tent Music Festival
- 15–31 July (weekends): Kaltenberg Knights’ Tournament (huge jousting festival, near Munich)
- 15–24 July: Kinderzeche, Dinkelsbühl (traditional dancing, parades)
- 18 July: Nabada Ulm
- 24 July & August 6: Klassik Open Air, Nürnberg (series of free classical concerts and fireworks in Luitpoldhain park)
- 8 -24 July: Ulmer Volksfest
- 22 July –7 August: Sommerwerft, Frankfurt (theatre and arts festival)
- 25 – 29 July: Africa Meets Europe Forum for young leaders
- 29–31 July: Bardentreffen Nürnberg (world music festival)
Food and drinks to try
- The weather is perfect to have a braai or to visit friends for a grillfest. See rules for braaing here
- Berries like Strawberries (Erdbeeren), Red currant berries (Johannisbeeren), Blueberries (Blaubeeren) , Goose berries (Stachelbeeren) and Cherries (Kirschen)
- Zwetchen (Damask Plums). A delicious desert is Zwetschgendatschi
- Mirabellen (Mirabelle plum)
- Ice cream – the best you will find at Italian Gelato shops. Do try Spaghetti Eis
- Aperol Spritz
- Campari Orange
- Elderflower Cocktail (Hugo)
- Fruit Punch (Fruchtbowle)
- Cold Duck (Kalte Ente)
- Beer and wine cocktails
- Rhurbarb – most bakeries will have some baked goods featuring Rhubarb
Fruits and veggies in season
|German Barbecue||das Grillfest|
|a state or feeling of warmth, friendliness, and good cheer.||die Gemütlichkeit|
|man made quarry filled with water||der Baggersee|
|Beach||der Strand / der Badestrand|
Man-made Orchards and a form of fruit growing that is designed for multiple uses.