We are not immigration agents, and your first point of contact should always be the German embassy or consulate in South Africa.
Most of the information you need to apply for your visa at the Germany Embassy in South Africa can be found on the Embassy website
Here is some additional information that could help when something is not clear. For individual queries, you can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or use their online form
Friends or Family Visits
Do you want to invite friends or family to come and visit you in Germany?For their trip, they will need a tourist visa, which is one of the short stay (less than 90 days) Schengen visas.
Birth and Marriage Certificates
When a birth or marriage certificate is required, it must always be an unabridged copy
Unless specifically asked for, documents that are in English does not need to be translated
When something needs to be apostilled, it will say so explicitly on the Embassy website as in the example below. If you click on the arrow it will take you to this page, which states that documents must be apostilled by DIRCO
Short-term visas – You need medical insurance for your whole trip. TIC in South Africa is accepted by the Embassy. You can also use insurances offered by your Credit card but make sure it satisfies the minimum requirements from the Embassy
July 2022 – Valid travel health insurance covering your requested stay with a minimum coverage of 30,000 euros, valid for all Schengen countries.
Try the following companies for insurance for older people:
- TIC – leisure Senior
- Klemmer – They also do student cover
- Allianz – Für Besucher aus dem Ausland und bis zu 93 Tagen Reisedauer – ohne Höchstalter
- Axa – Schengen Travel Insurance
- Dr Walter / Provisit
- ADAC Die Reisekranken- und Haftpflichtversicherung für Ihre Gäste aus dem Ausland
- Long-term visas
Time-limited visas like study, Au-Pair etc
You will need medical insurance to cover the whole period that you are in Germany. Good options are Klemmer or Dr Walter
- Employee – you are subject to mandatory statutory health insurance, you must bear in mind that this insurance can only begin when you take up residence in Germany and enter into employment. If you enter Germany beforehand, private health insurance must be taken out for the period before employment begins and before being eligible for statutory health insurance. In its terms and conditions, travel health insurance can exclude protection if a long-term or permanent stay is planned. So-called incoming travel insurance can also contain such exclusions. TIC offers emigration cover.
- Family reunification – you need proof of health insurance for at least 90 days, TIC is a good option.
When your visa is denied, you can re-apply immediately afterwards. Fees are the same
Some travel tips for Germany. You are welcome to submit your own tips and we can include them on this page. Flights The major airports in Germany
Long Term visas are seen as visits longer than 90 days and will typically be for work or study visits. If your application is approved,
“German citizens or citizens from non-EU countries who have an Aufenthaltserlaubnis (residence permit) or a Niederlassungserlaubnis (settlement permit) are allowed to bring their relatives to