The traffic law in Germany stipulates that all drivers must carry a first aid kit (Verbandkasten) in their vehicle. The contents of your first aid kit must comply with the DIN 13164 standard. Motorcycles and tractors are exempt. Quad bikes are not.
The current (2022) fine for not carrying a first aid kit is €10.
The following items should be included as from 2014
- 1 adhesive plaster, DIN 13019-A, 5 m x 2.5 cm
- 4 adhesive bandages, DIN 13019-E, 10 cm x 6 cm
- 2 first aid packs, DIN 13151-M
- 1 bandage pack, DIN 13151-G
- 1 bandage cloth, DIN 13152-BR, 40 cm x 60 cm
- 1 bandage cloth, DIN 13152-A, 60 cm x 80 cm
- 6 compresses, 10cm x 10cm
- 2 fixation bandages, DIN 61634-FB-6
- 3 fixation bandages, DIN 61634-FB-8
- 2 triangular towels, DIN 13 168-D
- 1 rescue blanket, 210 x 160 cm
- 1 first aid scissors, DIN 58279-A 145
- 4 disposable gloves, DIN EN 455
- 1 first aid booklet
- 2 wet wipes for skin cleansing
- 1 14-piece ready-made plaster set
- 1 bandage packet K
If you shop for a First aid kit, make sure you search for DIN 13164 with the 2014 specifications. New changes are coming in 2022 (two mouth and nose covers must be included in your kit), but you can just add the additional items, and don’t have to buy a new kit.
If any of the items have passed their best-before date, they must be replaced